Bryanna and the City

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

To Meet or Not to Meet? That is the Lava Life Question

Okay, I'll admit it, 7 months ago I joined the millions of other "sick of the bar scene singles" and became a member of Lava Life. It's not that I'm ashamed of this, but there still seems to be a stigma attached to meeting someone online. If you think about it though, meeting someone through an online dating service it probably a lot safer than meeting someone in the bar or while shopping for your groceries. You may be thinking to yourself, "but Bryanna, you're never really sure who you're talking with online. .. they may say that they are 28 and fit, but they could very likely be 65, balding and have a criminal record". I completely agree with that statement. So let me clarify what I mean when I say that online dating is "safer" than meeting someone on the street (*Note: I say "safer than" not safe. . .we all know dating is NEVER safe). I don't think I'm alone when I say that the world of dating can be crule, confusing, exasperating, but of course also thrilling, wonderful, and exciting. It's the last three things that keep me in the game, but it's the first three things that have made me question why I continue to be a starting player. So, when I say safer I simply mean that when you meet someone online you know exactly what they want. For example, Lava Life consists of three different sections; a relationship section, a dating section and an intimate encounter section. So, if you're looking for a relationship with someone you can make a profile in that section and meet other people looking for the same thing. This eliminates meeting somone who has different expectations and desires than you. It forces you to put all of your "chips on the table", so that when you do meet someone, they know exactly what you want and you know exactly what they want. . .plus you will also know if they like to take long walks on the beach or perhaps that they like to be spanked (for those looking for simply an intimate encounter). That being said, I took the Lava Life plunge recently and agreed to a date with a man that I had met on Lava Life in the dating section about three months ago. The date went very well. The restaurant was very unique and cozy. We spent two hours drinking wine and getting to know each other (on a side note, I have recently started to drink wine and I'm pretty sure that it gives me a huge headrush followed by a headache. . .so I think I'll stick with my Vodka). The conversation flowed effortlessly and it was refreshing to talk with a man who had something interesting and intellectual to say, whose sense of humour matches perfectly with mine. . .with the added bonus of him being pretty nice to look at. So, the moral of the story is this, even though the person at the other end of the computer may be 15 years older than they say they are, 35 lbs heavier, and have a collection of dead spiders, you will always know what they are looking for. . . so be safe when crossing the road into the online dating abiss. . .you could find the person that you've been spending your entire life looking for, but then again, you could get hit by a truck.

[HOPEFULLY THIS MADE SOME SENSE. . .]