Bryanna and the City

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

What's the Catch?

Okay, so after taking a break from writing in my blog after an unfortunate mishap concerning a very thoughtful and funny entry about the "just want to have fun guy" and the "I want to get married now guy" that got lost in the www. abiss when I attempted to post it, I'm back. I will not attempt to recollect my lost entry because then it would be contrived and frankly I forget what my point was. . . actually, I posed this question: "Can a relationship that started as mutually casual ever turn into anything more? And if so, how?" So, somehow I answered this question by not really answering it and asking more questions, but as I said. . . I don't remember what my point was. Okay, so new topic. . . If you haven't visited my recommended website and taken a look at my new boyfriend, then what are you waiting for punk? Alright, this has been something that I've been wanting to talk about for a while..it's not really relationship focused, but it does have to do with one of my favourite things to write about and that is men. Last night, while walking home from the bus after picking up my drop-off service laundry (yeah, that's right...I pay people to do my laundry. . .the working life isn't so bad) I noticed that a man who had gotten off at the same stop as me did a 180 and began walking back in my direction. I thought to myself, "self, why is this man walking back my way. . .is he lost?" He wasn't lost. He looked at me and my big bag of freshly cleaned laundry and offered to carry it for me as it appeared we were walking in the same direction. Okay, so there have been many times that I've truly struggled with my six bags of groceries on the four blocks to my house and I've often wondered why no one ever offered to help, but when this man actually offered, I kindly and graciously refused. As a social science major who has read her fare share of Feminist literature and who believes in equal rights I couldn't let this good-intentioned man help me. However, at the same time, I did not want to give him the wrong impression and heaven forbid have him ask for my number (refer to previous blog). This, however, seemed unlikely as he was clearly in his late 30's...however, with the men I've been dating lately...maybe it wasn't so unlikely. So my point is, even though my arms hurt, I was wearing 4 inch heels, and I've bitched about no one helping me before, something in my head said "me strong woman. no need help from man" and I guess I really didn't. I made it home alright, but now he knows where I live...**note to self: keep doors locked and blinds in bedroom window closed**