Bryanna and the City

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

me again

When I was really, really little like 3 or 4 or 21 I used to think that the characters on the TV screen could see me. I think it all started from that stupid, albeit one of my favorite TV shows, Romper Room & Friends (yeah, I wasn't around for the old school "Romper Room"). Oh, and the "Magic Mirror" was total B.S. and a completely sadistic exercise which made kids with names such as mine feel like insignificant losers. Yes, I'm bitter. She NEVER saw me! Humphf!

I don't know why I thought about this today, but every time I watched Sesame Street I felt a little violated. I was too young to describe what I was feeling, but now I know that I was just really "sketched out" about the whole TV concept. While watching Sesame Street I would sometimes make faces at the screen to see if I could get a reaction from the Muppets...but they were tricky little buggers and never let on about their voyeuristic ways (or so my 3/4 year old brain thought).

I'm not sure when I realized the "truth" about the television. I think it was just a gradual understanding. And I'm also not really sure why I'm telling you these stories that make me sound like a "special" child. Anyways, I'm sooo knackered today...I think I'm going to go to bed at 8:30. Hmm...now I sound like a "special" loser!

Later.

P.S. Where’d my Doodle Board go? Come hither, my love…I miss you!