Bryanna and the City

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

My "Home Town" Adventure

Even though I'm really, really, REALLY excited about my trip this summer, it is still five months away and I'm sure that you don't want read my "things to do before Greece" list yet (or ever....but YOU WILL READ IT) , so I guess I'll tell you about my weekend. I went on a little trip to my "home town" this past weekend a.k.a the place where I'll be living for 4 months in...umm..let me do the math...53 days. "Yay"...dripping with sarcasm.

It feels as though my two co-op semesters have gone by so quickly. It's scary just how quickly the months have flown by. All I know is I'll be doing the "happy dance" on my last day of work (44 days from now). I'm also looking forward to the summer beginning without having to complete 5 final exams... *pause*...(I just did a "mini" Happy Dance in my head).

Okay, back to my weekend. There are a few reasons why I went home for the weekend. For one, I had to fulfill my Maid of Honor duties and attend a Bridal Show with my engaged best friend and I guess, I wanted to visit with my parents, but most of all, I just needed to do some laundry. I refuse to wash my work clothes at a Laundromat; so needless to say...I desperately needed to make a trip home.

I spent some quality time with my parents on Saturday afternoon and then went out to one of the 3 bars people my age go to with T and Nat. I made us go early because it was cold out and I refused to wait in line. When we arrived the crowd was motley at best. Seriously. I'm not trying to sound like a snob, but I spent the first hour just looking around the bar thinking, "who are these people? And where did they come from?". But by midnight the crowd improved and I bumped into a few people I know (inevitable in a small town). Some other pretty funny stuff happened (involving two men from my past), but you'll have to ask me in person or e-mail me if you want to know the details (I've decided to practice a little discretion from now on...or until I forget who reads this thing again).

Even though I didn't drink at all, I woke up feeling nauseous, dehydrated and my head hurt...that's right, I was mysteriously hung over...from what? You'll have to ask me in person or e-mail me to find out (he he he just kidding). I actually have NO IDEA why I was experiencing these symptoms. Perhaps I was being punished for breaking two of my Lenten promises earlier that day (I ate some sweets and let my parents take me out for dinner) or perhaps I just ate something funky the previous night, didn't drink enough water and was experiencing early stages of the Flu? Nah...I'm sure I was being punished.

So on Sunday I went to a bridal show. It was while watching the fashion show and seeing the wedding dresses paraded before me, while sitting next to my 5 month pregnant friend that I thought to myself, "when the h*ll did this happen?" Wasn't it just a few years ago that we were having sleepovers and eating 10 bags of chips without caring about the carbs or the fat content, complaining how stupid boys are and divulging who our secret crushes were? Seriously...when did this happen because I'm sure I haven't made this leap to adulthood yet?...h*ck, I'm still moving home for the summer to save money and bringing laundry home during weekend visits! I guess some people are just ready to grow up, or for that matter, do "grown up things" a little sooner than others. I know for sure I'm not there yet....I also know that I probably won't be there for a long time.

Anyways, so my weekend adventure ended with a 5 hour bus ride back to Vancouver and I was lucky that this time I didn't have to sit next to a Pepsi drinking woman whose belches made it obvious that her dinner included garlic...yeah, gross.