Bryanna and the City

Friday, February 04, 2005

40 days and 40 nights

Another year, another Lent. Yes, I’m Catholic. I was baptised as a baby without my written consent and ever since then have been plagued with something DD and I like to call “Catholic Guilt” a.k.a. my mom. He he he…just kidding mama. I love you!

In my sinful opinion, I’ve already done my time. Thirteen years (13.25 if you count the couple of months I spent in the kindergarten class when I was 4 after my nanny’s daughter stuck me in the closet…sort of explains a lot, no?) of private Catholic schooling. And now, even though I only grace the halls of church at Christmas and Easter (Yes, I’ve become a C&E Catholic), I have not completely rejected Catholicism, well actually it’s Catholicism that I have rejected…what I have not rejected is my belief in God and Jesus. So now, I celebrate what I feel is important and every year I celebrate Lent. Lent is the 40 days and 40 nights before Easter (the resurrection of Christ) and traditionally it is a time of fasting and sacrifice in honour of Christ’s eternal gift or something like that…Last year a gave up sweets for Lent…this year, I’m going a little more extreme:

Things Bryanna will not/will do for forty days and forty nights (starting next Wednesday a.k.a. Ash Wednesday).

Will not:
#1: Consume any alcohol whatsoever. (This one is easy because I only drink about twice/month)
#2: Consume any sort of sweets/junk food.

Will:
#3: Make all meals from home, ie no dining out. At all.
#4: Go for at least 3 runs/walks every week.

So, in the name of God, I’m going on a forty-day diet…
Ack!
That lightening bolt was pretty close…he he he.