Bryanna and the City

Friday, June 08, 2007

Looking forward to the weekend and looking up

When I look up from my computer *monitors, I see a blue sky speckled with fluffy, white cumulus clouds and the Sun, The Vancouver Sun, that is. On a typical day in Vancouver the large, dark grey sign mocks me from its conspicuous location - the top of Granville Square tower - the rain temporarily obscures my view of the North shore mountains, and I can't help but marvel at the irony of it all.

Just now, a seagull flew past my window. Well, not really flew, more like glided...seemingly effortlessly. Yesterday, I witnessed one take a huge crap. I couldn't help but wonder if an unlucky soul was the recipient of the white, slippery substance below. I did however, resist the urge to get up from my seat and check.

When I strain my neck a little more to the left, I can see the IMAX theatre and Canada Place. Like most days, there is a cruise ship docked in the terminal. It will be heading to Alaska soon. Probably tonight, they usually don't stay docked for long. The idea of going on a cruise ship vacation has never appealed to me. I do possess the typical "piscinean" affinity towards the ocean, but I think I would prefer a more intimate and rugged boat on water experience. This probably goes back to my sailing days.

The 111 foot schooner I spent 30 cumulative days of my life sleeping, eating, and laughing until I peed my pants on was devoid of a buffet, spa, pool, shower, and even...flushable toilets. However, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life - too amazing to articulate with words. To me, going on a cruise would be selling out to my old sailor self...and besides, I would probably just gain 10 pounds anyways (I don't do well with buffets).

So, what do you see when you look up?

* I get two flat screen monitors because I'm just that important, but of course you knew that already "because I got it like that".