Bryanna and the City

Friday, March 30, 2007

She works hard for the money...

Since I started this blog back in the summer of 2004, I've had 6 different jobs. SIX, people! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6! And I must admit that I've been pretty damn good at not blogging about work, even if I do, occasionally, blog at work. This is not because I've never wanted to blog about work/co-workers, it's merely due to the fact that I could never live down the embarrassment - and subsequent shaming from my mother - if I were ever to be 'dooced'.

With certain jobs I've had, there were times that I mentally vowed to call-out bitchy/cliquey/infuriating co-workers, via this blog, once my contract had ended, but I guess I never got around to it. Or, rather, I realised that matching hate with hate was not the answer...or something equally profound like that.

Yeah, some people got on my nerves. Yeah, some people systematically isolated me from human contact for four months. And, yeah, some jobs forced me into credit card debt (for the first time in my life) and near nervous breakdown. But in the end, they turned out to be just another EXPERIENCE(!) that I could twist into something FABULOUS (!) that taught me many WONDERFUL(!), TRANSFERABLE(!) SKILLS(!) that my next employer WANTS(!) and NEEDS(!).

For example, in my last job I bedazzled a poster (not once, but twice. YAY!). Now, on the surface, you could say that all I did was super glue 135 tiny crystals to a 3ft by 6ft piece of paper, losing some of my eye-sight in the process, but when translated into resume speak it sounds something more like this: Using my creative skills and attention to detail, I adapted existing conference materials to make it easier for prospective clients to understand the company's services. See? It's so easy.

In two months I could be moving on to job #7. I'm hoping this isn't so, but in the event that I have to hit the pavement, yet again, I'm now thinking of ways to creatively translate my current position of cutting and pasting all day into something fabulous.

So far, I've come up with nothing.