Bryanna and the City

Monday, October 16, 2006

I am woman

"You're not a young lady anymore. You're a woman." my Grandmother declared as I kissed her on the cheek.

Forty-five minutes prior, my Grandmother was rushing about trying to get her husband, my Grandfather, in place at the back of the church. Recently relegated to a wheel chair due to a broken hip, it was uncertain whether he would make it to his oldest grandaughter's wedding. But he did. He even managed to get a shirt, tie, and jacket on; you could barely even tell that he was wearing black sweatpants.

My Grandmother wasn't the first person to call me a "woman", though, and she wasn't the last. The first was my father's youngest brother, my uncle and Godfather, "Uncle Tom". It's been a little over two years since I've seen him, my Aunt Wendy and the boys.

I wasn't aware that within those 730 days I had changed.

Well, I most definitely have gained some weight.

...

*sigh*

Anyways.

So when my grandmother commented on my apparent metamorphosis I just smiled and nodded (a standard "Bryanna-go-to-response-when-I-can't-think-of-anything-else-to-say"). A response which was required five minutes later when my father's eldest brother, Uncle Bill, said the same thing. Actually, he said that I looked "old...but not in a bad way".


My oldest sister's response later in the privacy of our car was, "what am I? Chop liver?!" (a standard Nicole response when she doesn't get enough attention). he he...

At 23 years of age, I guess I am a woman. But half the time I feel like I'm 10 years old and the other half of the time I wish I still was.

Anyways, besides the confusing "woman" comments, it was great to see my father's side of the family; most of whom I haven't seen for years. Visiting with my 15 year old cousin, now blind and a quadriplegic due to a brain tumour (but mostly the failed attempts to remove and shrink it), was quite nice.


oh yeah.

*I caught the bouquet.


*Well, actually, Nicole caught it and then shoved it in my face like a hot potatoe. It hurt. And then I had to dance with the garter catching engaged guy. It was very awkward.