Bryanna and the City

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Bryanna and the Wilderness

Yesterday, I took a sick day. I rarely take sick days. Mainly because I'm always a 'contract employee' and I don't actually get 'sick days', which means that I either don't get paid for those 7 hours or I have to make up the time (yeah, I know; I whine, I whine). Anyways, yesterday I took a sick day. Why? Out of pure heat/sun/body/mind exhaustion. I stumbled out of bed at the usual time (6:35 AM), took my morning pee, looked in the mirror, realized I still felt nauseated and weak, and decided that today, would be a sick day. So, I called into work, left a groggy message and went back to bed...I slept until noon...I haven't slept until noon, for, like, well, ever. It felt pretty good...actually, it felt damn good.

I guess you're probably wondering, 'why so exhausted, Bry?'

Well, the truth is...

My boyfriend tried to kill me over the long weekend.

Well, no, not literally, but it was his idea to go camping. And it was his idea to go camping on an island, which required 2 bus rides, 2 ferry rides, and a 3.5 hour hike (up a mountain) to access the lake-side camping site (with no bathroom).

Okay, so it really wasn't THAT bad. In fact, in retrospect, it actually was a very fun adventure. And let's face it, I haven’t had an actual 'adventure' in a really long time. It also made me realize how much I love Sean and how happy I am that I found someone so caring, patient, and loving in return.

Yes, I know, sappy...blech. But it's true.

On the ferry ride back to Vancouver, I joked with him that if we were a couple on the reality TV show The Amazing Race, I would be the whiny girl that everyone hated...and he didn't disagree.

I was whiny.

Very whiny.

At one point, when Sean convinced me to take a 'short cut' through the dry, dense, full of spider webs, and dangerous obstacles forest (including the bleached-out skeleton of a large mammal), I almost cried...twice. But Sean stayed strong and level headed, even after I repeatedly pointed out that we were lost and that we weren't going to make the last ferry. But we eventually did make it out of the forest to catch the last ferry and by 9:30 p.m. on Sunday evening we were back at his apartment…however, very sun burnt and suffering from heat stroke.

So, that's why I took a sick day, but it was worth it.

Thanks for all the memories, S!


For pics, see my flickr page --->